Friday, January 17, 2014

Chiaroscuro Portraits

I have made some serious changes and now it's time to renew this blog (which I admit I abandoned for some time). I have been focusing on my portraits for the past several months. It definitely felt that was the direction my energies needed to flow. A collection of these portraits are at my website www.barbaraferrier.com. I was asked the other day if there was one thing I really wanted to do with my paintings – and honestly I’d have to say I want to improve my lighting techniques and the atmosphere of the paintings. I’ve always loved the work of Rembrandt and Rubens and their contemporaries in the 1400 -1600’s. Oh, yeah, it's also the lighting that is used in Film Noir, and in fact dramatic film, period. No matter how modern painting and design gets, there’s something timeless about the amazing chiaroscuro lighting that has been passed down for centuries. It’s definitely a keeper! And I’m increasing my use of it in my portraits. Next up for me: the shape of light!!!

No comments: