Thursday, February 12, 2015

Anatomy of My Portrait Commission

Sasha asked me to create a commission for her this January. She sent a 'selfie' from her phone. (bottom center).  Photographs can be challenging because our eyes forgive lens distortion from photography. It's part of our visual language. However, we expect our paintings to look as accurate as if we're standing in the room with someone.

We talked about goals and what made that specific image significant.   Her goal: "capture the power of confidence but also love and wholeheartedness. Use  your instincts."  I found a photo taken from a better camera that I could treat as if it was the selfie. Next I photoshopped the mouth from the selfie onto that photo, knowing I'd have to create new lighting (as the two didn't match). And then for good measure I used two more for detail. This is what the computer monitor looked like:

Here is the final painting that I created from these selected images. Confidence, Love and Wholeheartedness. I genuinely appreciated the words: Use your Instincts. It really helped me attain at my own peak performance. Please add your own comments.

No comments: