Sunday, June 22, 2008

Barbara's Definition of Art

Balancing intuition, ingenuity and skill to make an impact on the audience is perhaps my ultimate definition of art. Each art trade has its tools. When these 3 components come together with the right balance it feels like 'skiing in the fresh powder.' Even if you have a spectacular wipe out from time to time, which is part of the process, it's just a matter of fine tuning to pick it back up.

When defining 'art' I refer to my experiences in film and stage, as well as my experiences painting. For example the character development of an actor, or timing and story telling for a film director are their art.

Painting, like film, has the opportunity to open up whole new worlds that the mind can enter. That is the part of the field that I value the most.

No comments: