Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Back Story of this painting project

I want to tell a short story about where this project came from - it may feel like ancient history to my those who know me. I think that means when an idea sticks, it's lighting your path.

When my oldest daughter was born I went through the upheaval of having no sleep, a 24/7 responsibility without  weekends or semester breaks or anything that historically had been a reprieve when I was this exhausted. I was home with her unless we were taking walks. I was blown away by the magnitude of the energy required. I was so sleep deprived I didn't feel safe driving to the grocery store! I eventually looked into daycare but when they said 3:1 ratio I thought 3 adults, right? She easily consumed all of the mental and physical energy of three adults!

Deliberate Intention, the theme of All My Work, was something I first implemented in a PEPS support group while creating the world for my family that would be satisfying. We parsed our childhood experiences so we could be deliberate about what traditions we passed down. We talked about Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc, and made deliberate decisions. I remember stumbling into Easter with no plan, just the old family playbook.  Immediately realized I needed to be more intentional. It was a powerful lesson that stuck with me.

One night my husband and I were looking through my paintings and we started talking about what it would be like to walk into the landscapes. Who would we meet there? What was that place that felt so 'enter-able.?' We started telling creating stories inspired by the paintings. It was so exciting to watch this whole world come to  life and become a place. And, having a large project I could control immediately increased my patience and my happiness level. My daughter was 6 months old.

That painted world has lived with me for all these years! I've written several stories or chapters, made a coloring book and now it's being integrated so you can share and enjoy this project!

No comments: